Since its beginning in 1924 as the Tucson Fine Arts Association (TFAA), the Tucson Museum of Art and Historic Block has demonstrated this community’s long-standing commitment to high-quality art and culture. As the TFAA, and then the Tucson Arts Center, the organization was located in, and held art exhibitions at, various locations. In 1975, fifty-one years after its founding, the organization moved to its present location on the site of Tucson’s original Spanish Presidio at the crossroads of Main Avenue and Alameda Street and formally became a collecting institution. At the same time, five historic properties ranging in date from the 1850s to 1907, were also acquired on long-term lease from the city. In recognition of its collecting activity the institution’s name was once again changed; this time to the Tucson Museum of Art.
Now named the Tucson Museum of Art and Historic Block, the museum encompasses a four-acre campus with exhibition galleries, sculpture garden, historic properties, education center, administrative offices, collections storage, restaurant, and museum store; and the museum’s permanent collection contains over 9,000 objects. Each year TMA features a selection of major exhibitions as well as highlights from its permanent collection in the areas of American Art, Art of the American West, Asian Art, Contemporary Art, European Art, Folk Art of the Americas, Latin American Art, and Modern Art in its galleries. Inspired by the art in the galleries and collection, life-long learning through educational programming, community engagement, and events is core to the museum’s mission of “Connecting Art to Life.”