Tucson, AZ – The Tucson Museum of Art and Historic Block (TMA) kicks off the summer season on May 18 with an exhibition focusing on art inspired by travel. Travelogue: Grand Destinations and Personal Journeys includes paintings, drawings, photographs, graphics and travel ephemera by artists surveying nearly 250 years of travel from the “Grand Tour” of Europe and the Middle East to sojourns through the American West.
The exhibition is from Saturday, May 18, 2019, through Sunday, September 29, 2019, at the James J. and Louise R. Glasser Galleries. Public programs are planned throughout the run of the exhibition.
Travelogue is organized by the Tucson Museum of Art and co-curated by Dr. Julie Sasse, Chief Curator, and Christine Brindza, Senior Curator, Glasser Curator of Art of the American West. According to Dr. Sasse, “Artists have long inspired us to explore the world. This exhibition reminds us of the joy of observation and celebrates creativity inspired by place.”
More than 80 artists are represented in Travelogue, including Diane Burko, Harry (Henry) Chase, Tseng Kwong Chi, Eanger Irving Couse, Randall Davey, Fremont Ellis, Frederick Carl Frieseke, Ralph Gibson, Lawrence Gipe, Peter G. Holbrook, Mitchell Johnson, Maria Martinez, Steve McCurry, Richard Miller, Orrin Sheldon Parsons, Awa Tsireh (Alfonso Roybal), Millard Owen Sheets, and Lone Wolf (Hart Merriam Shultz).
The Tucson Museum of Art and Historic Block will offer special events in addition to the opening reception and preview on Friday, May 17, 2019, 6-8 pm, for invited guests and TMA members. Public programs include:
- FREE First Thursdays (June, August, and September) programming will focus on the relationship between travel and art. Each month will feature a display of museum visitors’ travel selfies, live music and a cash bar.
- Curators’ Walkthrough: Free First Thursday, August 1, 5:30 pm. TMA will be closed Thursday, July 4.
- FREE Second SundAZe: Family Day @ TMA, Sunday, July 14, 2019. presented by the Stonewall Foundation, will focus on artist exploration through travel in the current exhibition Travelogue. The day will be filled with in-gallery activities and art-making. Family Tours of Travelogue at 11:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m.
- FREE with museum admission. “Travelogue: Three Perspectives of the Grand Tour Lecture” featuring TMA curators Julie Sasse, Christine Brindza, and Kristopher Driggers. Wednesday, September 11, at 11 a.m.
- TMA and Loft Cinemas will present a travel-themed film. Stay tuned for more information on this exciting collaboration.
Travelogue: Grand Destinations and Personal Journeys is presented by the Tucson Museum of Art Western Art Patrons with additional support by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona.
Generous support of the 95th anniversary exhibition season at the Tucson Museum of Art is provided by the Connie Hillman Family Foundation, Jim and Louise Glasser, and Jon and Linda Ender, with additional support by AC Hotel Tucson Downtown.
High-resolution images and a list of works from Travelogue: Grand Destinations and Personal Journeys are available upon request.